Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Saturday, August 20: On to Glacier NP

       I’m not sure exactly how this happened, but I thought we had made reservations at an RV park in the town of West Glacier, which is at the west entrance to Glacier NP. As we were driving between Spokane and Glacier, we discovered that this RV Park, Glacier Haven, was 20 miles south of the gate. I was a little miffed over my mistake as I knew we would have to drive an addition 20 miles down U.S. Highway 2E with the trailer to get there. To get to Glacier NP we would then have to drive back another 20 miles to get to the park entrance. When we arrived at Glacier Haven, an elderly gentleman (a few years older than me I guess), welcomed us. He was the Father of the guy who started this place and the motel & restaurant next door. We felt lucky to get the only pull-thru space and we easily parked the trailer and unhitched the truck. It was very woodsy and fairly far off a not-so-busy road, so we were feeling good.
Our trailer at Glacier Haven, not Heaven!
 Then it came. First a rumbling that got louder and louder. Then a deafening and earth shaking noise as we watched the freight train pass within a stones throw of our trailer. Why didn’t they mention this in any of the reviews? Well maybe, we thought, trains pass by here infrequently, so it won’t be much of a problem. Not so, we found out. This must be the main North/South route between Canada and the U.S. for passenger and freight trains because I think there was a train every ½ hour to 1 hour 24/7. So much for the woodsy, out-in-the-wilderness experience! We later read in the small print that all rentals were final, no refunds. I wonder why that could be?

No comments:

Post a Comment